Eight $2,500 scholarships will be awarded to university students currently attending the University of Idaho, Washington State University, Montana State University or Oregon State University.
Our Land Grant University Scholarships are for full-time undergraduate students seeking a degree in Agribusiness Management, Agriculture Economics, Agriculture Business/Finance, Forestry, or related field of study in a designated land grant university.
The deadline to apply for a AgWest Customer Scholarship is March 1 each year.
Enrolled university students who meet all the following qualifications are eligible to apply. Applicants must:
- be attending one of the following land grant universities: University of Idaho, Washington State University, Montana State University, or Oregon State University;
- be pursuing a degree in one of the following areas of study: Agribusiness Management, Agriculture Economics, Agriculture Business/Finance or related field of study;
- must demonstrate a commitment to agriculture, leadership and academic achievement;
- be a U.S. citizen or legal resident of the United States;
- be enrolled full time (12 or more credits);
- have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale; and
- not a previous winner of a Northwest FCS or Farm Credit West college scholarship.
What you need to do
- Obtain a copy of your high school or college transcript and save it as a PDF, using the following naming convention for the filename: Firstname-Lastname-Transcript.pdf (for example: Sam-Smith-Transcript.pdf). Unofficial photocopies of your transcript are acceptable.
- Write an essay. An essay helps the judges learn more about you and your future life plans.
- Write an essay, no more than a page in length, discussing the following:
Describe how you have personally demonstrated your commitment to agriculture through a leadership role, special project, or other capacity. Address why you think this is an important endeavor and how you plan to continue to leave a positive impact on the agricultural sector in the future.
- Save your essay as a PDF, using the following naming convention for the filename: Firstname-Lastname-Essay.pdf (for example: Sam-Smith-Essay.pdf).
Obtain a letter of recommendation and save it as a PDF, using the following naming convention for the filename: Firstname-Lastname-Letter.pdf (for example: Sam-Smith-Letter.pdf). If you have more than one letter, combine all letters into one PDF file. Fill out the online AgWest Land Grant University Scholarship Application form and attach your PDF files.
- Essay – Measured by content and message. (20 points)
- Leadership experience – Measured by positions held in student government, civic groups, church groups or other community groups. (25 points)
- Extracurricular activities – Measured by participation in sports, school, and community organizations as well as work experience. (25 points)
- Academic achievement – Measured by grades and transcripts. (20 points)
- Letter(s) of recommendation – (10 points)
AgWest Farm Credit reserves the right to make decisions on the applicability of other academic programs on an applicant-by-applicant basis.